Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Cruising In Cali

I'm attending a conference for a few days here in Long Beach California, and it's blissfully sunny, 75 degrees. Apologies to my friends back home in "The 503" who had yet another horrendous day of rain, wind, and hail. After our 25-days-of-rain April experience, and May starting off just as badly, even the most intrepid Oregonian is begging for mercy. I'll take this sunshine, thank you very much.

We had a full day of school visits, and when we got back I squeezed in a little "alone" time on the beach as the late afternoon became a lovely Southern California evening. Being the predictable person that I am, you can guess what I did.

Intentionally, I wanted to rent a cruiser bike, because it's not what I usually ride. I was immediately reminded how the bike you're riding dictates your riding style. Road bikes are sleek machines designed for speed and efficiency. Mountain bikes are for technical moves over rugged terrain. What the heck do you do with a cruiser bike? Well, you get on and pedal. That's it. Chill and pedal, dude.

My cruiser rental bike was basically a couch with handlebars. For 12 bucks at the waterfront rental you get an hour with a cruiser bike; that's about all you'd really want. An hour was just enough time to cruise the entire length of the Long Beach Bikeway and back.

The Bikeway is a long lovely ribbon of asphalt shared by walkers, runners, skaters, and yes, even cyclists. It goes on for miles, right down the middle of the beach. It's quite invigorating, even at a slow pace. Just taking in the ocean air, the sunshine, while riding this goofy "marshmallow with pedals" was its own kind of treat.

I hear the weather's about to improve in Oregon. You know, I think I'll give it another day or two down here. Just in case.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

"couch with handlebars"? ROFL!!!

I'm dating her daddy, but Princess doesn't like that! said...

You're in CA? Well then, you had better CALL me!! Let's do...(what else?) coffee! Log beach is 20 min from me!

714 418*7674
Sher
AKA "Double Trouble"

The Hillbilly Banjo Queen: said...

Marshmallow with pedals, indeed. I have lots of friends who own those things. I say 'things' because I can't bring myself to call them a bike.

cb said...

Glad you got a chance to get out and pedal the local hood!

-chris

Kelly Carlisle said...

It was a difficult task to pull myself away from a day full of conference sessions and spend time down on the beach on a bike. But hey, if not me, who else is going to do it?
KC