Sunday, November 28, 2010

Pie Days

My folks love hosting Thanksgiving


The Thanksgiving gatherings were wonderful, memorable, and yes, calorie-infused. We made some wonderful connections with friends and family all weekend long, and with all the usual culinary delights, too. My weakness: pie.  

When I see a pie on the dessert table, game over. When I see multiple pies, I feel a sense of duty to taste each one, and compliment each and every pie-maker on their outstanding accomplishments.  You can never go wrong complimenting a person on their pie-crust. I like the way pies are lovingly put together. I don't think it's possible to be a sour person and be a good pie maker. 

That’s why pie=love.

If there happens to be any pie left over, I’m there to take one for the team.  One pie, that is. You know what I'm saying...a little a la mode, a cup of coffee, voila--the perfect breakfast!  

As far as I’m concerned, anybody who has not had the opportunity to rationalize pie for breakfast has not pursued a full and meaningful life.

Nat is an excellent pie maker
Mrs C's pie crusts are to-die-for


















The problem of course is that at some point, all the pie runs out. What a sad feeling when that happens. There’s nothing quite like the wistful, melancholy sound of the “no-more-pie sigh.” For me, this low moment is usually accompanied by the awful realization that my pie diet has changed my body’s response to earth’s gravitational pull.  

You never hear about bestseller diet books touting the virtues of eating pie. I don’t know why that is...you can certainly find several food groups represented in a good pie.  Well, at any rate, my pie-eating days are on hold until Christmas.

Right after I enjoy this one last piece.

4 comments:

bikelovejones said...

I guess my life lacks sufficient meaning, then. The pie (my sister's from-scratch-including-crust-HAH! apple cranberry) didn't make it to the breakfast table.

Which is a bummer, because I think it would go great with coffee...

Jessica said...

PREACH IT BROTHA!
At this very moment, I'm desperately trying to avoid the left over pies in my house. I may lose this battle... *sigh*

Kelly Carlisle said...

Beth, you never heard this from me, but I do know that occasionally a piece of pie will go missing and then show up later on after all the guests are gone. Just sayin', it happens. :)

Jessica, be strong. Then give me the piece you were going to have.

Anonymous said...

Kudos to your folks for the pic of the never-ending Thanksgiving dining table. Physics formula: pie equals Mr. C. squared happily.