Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Listening Sessions

Tonight I got to check out one of the Open Houses put on by the City of Salem. The Bicycling and Pedestrian elements of the Transportation System Plan were the topic. On display were several ways to make things better for walking and riding in Salem and Keizer.
First let’s compliment the folks who have worked so hard to make this process so authentic. Public service is hard, hard work, and largely unappreciated. These leaders have demonstrated in so many ways that they are listening and taking all of us along through every step of the process. Because of their intentional efforts to engage the public multiple times and ways, nobody gets to complain about lack of communication or input. Bravo, City of Salem.
One of the bright spots of this visit for me was getting to meet fellow local bike blogger, Daniel Evans. That was such a cool, serendipitous moment! We both recognized each other right off and a great conversation ensued. Daniel and I talked about how this process needs to help make things feel safer for the occasional bike rider. We discussed the calming effects of bike boulevards, and how many crazy “Y” intersections we have around town. We agreed that more visionary, energetic folks will be needed to work together to help keep this bicycle process moving forward with the City. 

Nice to meet you, Daniel. Your blog rocks.  I look forward to riding with you soon!
Dashing off to the next appointment, I felt bad I couldn't stay longer. And I felt really optimistic about the future for bicycle riding in Salem.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice meeting you Kelly!

I am looking forward to riding with you! It is pretty cool that blogging in the cyber-world can lead to friendship in the "real" one.

Thanks for calling out a thanks to the dedicated people at the City of Salem. They get a regular diet of flack and coarse complaints, and though roughage is supposed to be good for the system, they must find it tough to digest after a time. I could go much further with this analogy but better taste says I should leave it while I'm still behind.

Julie Warncke, Transportation Planning Manager for the city, has done a great job guiding the Bike Plan and has shown commitment to making it a quality, usable map to Salem's transportation future. I don't think they get enough credit for their hard work and I am glad you have pointed it out. I have been remiss not to have done so yet in my own blog.