Sunday, January 3, 2010

Confessions of a Non-Purista



I am not a coffee connoisseur. Don’t let the blog title take you there. I’m pretty much an idiot when it comes to what makes great coffee great. Would you like some proof?
1. I have little packets of instant crystals in my cupboard.
2. I have no idea what kinds of beans we have right now or where they came from, other than that they’re in a shiny green bag in our freezer. I can’t remember if you are or you aren’t supposed to put them in the freezer...
3. We’re too cheap to replace the $40 grinder that was recalled a year ago.
4. Our coffee pot cost less than my last oil change.
5. I’ve been known to rewarm my morning coffee in the microwave.

Clearly I don’t know much about what makes great coffee great, but I sure enjoy it when I find it! It’s a social thing, and it’s a sensory thing. Find a coffee house with a great atmosphere, meet a good friend there, have a cup of coffee...game over. Get a moment to think alone, sit next to a picture window with a cup that is shaped to fit your hands, and a great aroma coming up from the steaming brewed cup, that’s a great day all by itself.

Maybe I’ll learn to become more coffee literate, but in the mean time I would rather share the moments that have jumped up and taken me by surprise, that have lifted me to new appreciation for a place, a person, a moment. These often happen when I’m riding my bike, or when I’m enjoying a hot beverage from a grande cup. I haven’t managed to do both simultaneously yet, but when I do, I’ll write about that, too.

No comments: